As some of you are already aware, a National March on Washington for LGBTQ rights is currently planned for Sunday, June 11, the same date as the scheduled North Jersey Pride Festival.
After much consideration, reviewing options and getting feedback from community members, we have decided not to hold our festival as previously scheduled. We do not want our attendees to have to make a choice between these two events, and moreover, where in years past, we have celebrated our past accomplishments, this year we feel that what our community needs most is to join hundreds of thousands of supporters on the streets of the nation’s capitol to stand together and march for equality. The rights of LGBTQ citizens are again under attack and it is critical that we show unity and solidarity.
To that end, we are taking this year’s Pride on the road. NJP will be organizing busing down to D.C. as well as a group rate at a local hotel for those who want to stay over Saturday night. We will march as a group with our own banner on June 11th in D.C.
• GET ON THE BUS: We have arranged round-trip busing for those who wish to do a day trip. Tickets are available for purchase here: http://
For those already in D.C., please meet up with us! We’ll gather at Connecticut Ave & M/18th St in Longfellow Park under the statue at 9am, with plans to walk over as a group to the march a few blocks away at 9:30am.
• STAY OVERNIGHT: For those who would prefer to make their way to DC independently and stay overnight on June 10th, we
have secured a great group rate at the centrally located Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill. Book your room today, as the room rate is guaranteed only through May 31.
• Come down on your own and meet up with us to march in solidarity. Stay tuned to this site for our meetup spot.
We hope you will join us on this important road trip. If you can’t, however, we invite you to participate in one of two events taking place in North Jersey:
• the SOMA Action Pride March at Ricalton Park (corner of Maplewood Ave. & Durand Rd.) in Maplewood, followed by rally at Town Hall, 10AM
• The West Orange Pride March 2017, followed by a rally at Town Hall and a picnic for the community, 11am
The North Jersey Pride Run 5K and brunch at Above Restaurant will continue as scheduled on Sunday, June 4th. Registration is open; please sign up early to guarantee a race T-shirt!
We plan to resume our North Jersey Pride Festival next year on Sunday, June 10, 2018, and we hope you will join us this year on what promises to be an inspiring adventure.